At the beginning of any partnership, the roles and responsibilities of each party must be defined. The idea is to go beyond a binary distribution, for example : « each party must be defined. The idea is to go beyond a binary distribution, for example: « the teacher/educator sets up the logistics so that the artist’s intervention can take place in the best possible conditions ». In order to develop a project based on solid partnership, it is a question of going beyond the role of the teacher/educator hosting an artist in his/her premises. The partners get to know each other’s contexts and working environment. They combine their skills to design the project together, define the stages and carry it out hand in hand.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of questions to ask yourself :
BEFORE COMMITTING TO A PROJECT :
- Why am I committing to this project ? What can I bring to it ? What are my expectations ?
- How do I see my role? What place do I want to assume ?
(Answer yourself before sharing with your partners)
PROJECT COORDINATION (DESIGN, IMPLEMENTATION, PROJECT ASSESSMENT) :
- When do I meet with my partners to design the project ?
- How do I manage the discussion (distribution and speaking time, facilitation, taking and transmitting notes …etc.) ?
- How do I maintain the link between actors/partners of the project ?
- Who is in charge of communication? Who is in charge of designing a flyer, a poster ?
- Who presents the project (to management, colleagues, parents, students, etc.) ?
- Who sends the invitation to the donors ?
- Who prepares the estimates for such and such an expense in order to design the budget ?
- Who collects the feedback from the project beneficiaries for the project assessment ?
- Who collects and settles the project’s invoices ?
- Who follows up on the project evaluation with the people involved ?
KEY POINTS TO CONSIDER BEFORE ENGAGING IN AN ACTIVITY :
- Who organises the activity, reserves the venue, potential transport ?
- Who leads the different tasks ?
- What position do we adopt? Who observes, who participates, who intervenes/coaches ?
- Who speaks and at what point ?
- Who is responsible for disciplinary measures, if necessary ?
- Who takes the photos or films ?
- How is the link maintained between each activity (extending the artistic experience – dance activities, educational activities…) ?